Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Possible Threat?

In early June, the brilliant One-Cap-a-Day site went down without explanation, although the capper had briefly mentioned in a previous post the expense of hosting the site and traffic.

Then, in early July, we lost marathon capper Rebecca Molay's Rebecca's World, including dozens of intricate PDF illustrated stories. It was discovered that some asshole(s) had threatened to expose her, so she quit and deleted everything.

We lost Loki's Captions in early August. Loki was using a paid hosting site and paid stock photos, so maybe the expense's just got to him/her. Still, the site disappeared overnight.

...and in the last day or so, we just lost Hailey Pixley's wonderful Tight Spot. Her email and social media account are also deleted, and I had sent emails to her and gotten replies only a couple weeks ago. If she just needed a break or was burnt out, she seemed like the type to at least say goodbye first.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the TG capping community may be dealing with someone(s) specifically targeting/doxing us. If you're reading this, please take reasonable precautions to protect your identity (and maybe leave a comment or two on some of your various favorite cappers' recent efforts.)

And if you're reading this Hailey, I hope you are OK. You will be missed dearly, babe.


6 comments:

  1. Hopefully its an error on Google's part and nothing more nefarious at play.

    I just backed up my blog yesterday in case something like that happens so I could always reconstitute it elsewhere if need be.

    I saw your comment on my looking for Hailey, and wanted to drop by and say, "HI!" and "Where the hell have you been?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where've I been? Since you're fond of videos, I went wandering... :)

      Seriously though, I'd been very depressed for years and had been slowly climbing back out of the hole (and slipping back quite a few times). I still only have a finite amount of energy at one time, and burn through it fairly quick. If Hailey hadn't picked that particular photo for her last cap challenge, I probably wouldn't had a sudden spark of inspiration and de-lurked/de-cloaked. Hopefully, I can finish up my current editing assignments soon and free up more time.

      Thanks for being there for Hailey (and listening to me whine).

      Delete
  2. As a follow up, she has posted anonymously on my blog explaining what happened. You can read her comment there, but it was due to possibly someone in her RL finding out about her "Hailey" ness, which is always a concern amongst us bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully they weren't doxxed or maybe they went the way that Evie beackburner did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hailey left a message on Dee's blog. She's physically ok, but may have accidentally outed herself; in trying to cover her tracks, she deleted her Gmail account... which also deleted her blog and all the captions.

      As for Evie, she morphed into a new self.

      Delete